Monday, January 28, 2008

What I'm Thinking

I had a lot of time this weekend to think about my favorite topic, recovery, and here is what I was thinking. How many times did I hear the words "Celebrity Rehab"? More than I wanted. My first thought was about Dr. Drew Pinsky. A man, who I have met, (but only briefly) that seems to have integrity. But, what is he doing lending his name to "Celebrity Rehab"? I can't think of a worse way to educate the public about treatment and recovery. These sad broken people are subjecting themselves to treatment on camera in the hopes of what result? I doubt that recovery is the main goal.

If recovery isn't the main goal recovery will not occur; I don't care how famous or infamous a person is. Recovery involves ego deflation, how on earth can that happen for these people? How on earth can Dr. Drew think this is treatment? He more than most should be aware of the stigma addicts face, does he care? One of the most damaging things to a persons recovery can be rejection by family and friends, just because he/she is an addict. This show only adds to and perpetuates the myths about addiction.

I have never seen this show nor do I intend to. How about you?

No comments: